The Coach’s / Recruiter’s Perspective
What does it take to play lacrosse at the college level? Beyond the field, what do coaches and their staff look for in players? Frank Vitolo, current assistant coach of the back to back NCAA Division 2 National Champion C.W. Post Pioneers, former MLL assistant and Hudson Valley N.Y. Hall of Fame inductee has been on the front line evaluating players. Vitolo will share the evolution of the NCAA recruitment process and provide insight into the “intangibles” that coaches look for in players.
Navigating the Recruitment Process
More than a player’s stats, making the right contacts, selecting the right camps / teams and understanding the process as a whole are the keys to finding a spot with a collegiate program. In this panel discussion, coaches and parents share their insight and experience navigating a process that typically begins before a player’s sophomore year.
- Scott Hugdahl, Parent, Matt and Mitch Hudahl, Wittenberg / Georgetown '15
- Keith Knutson, Parent, Bjorn Knutson, Colby '13
- Frank Vitolo, Assistant Coach, C.W. Post University
- John Uppgren, Parent, John Uppgren, Choate Prep '12
Planning and Preparation for the College Experience
Preparing for the college experience from an academic and physical perspective is just as critical as the recruitment process itself. In these parallel breakout sessions, speakers will explore each of these areas.
- Chris Molitor, Molitor Athletic Performance Training, CSCS
Selecting the Right College Setting
Moderated by Rob Graff, Head Coach, UMD 93 - 10'
- Chris Garland, Assistant Coach, The Blake School, Hampden-Sydney College '02
- Ian Flam, Owner, Northstar Lacrosse - Director, Minnesota Elite
- Dan Forsyth, Assistant Coach, C.W. Post University
- Ian Gallagher, Wagner College '07, Assistant Coach, University of St. Thomas
Recent and current collegiate players (D1, D2, D3, Club) share their experiences and perspectives on finding the right collegiate setting, the recruitment process and what to expect from playing college lacrosse. Moderated by Pete Moosbrugger, Head Coach, University of St. Thomas.
- Joe Costello, University of St. Thomas '11
- Todd Baxter, University of Denver '11
- Cory Childs, Trine University '07-'10, Carthage College '11
- Brent Walby, Minnesota State University - Mankato '11
- Bjorn Knutson, Colby College '13
- Giuseppe Palermo, Quinnipiac University '14
Final Thoughts and Questions